Saturday, September 24, 2011

Using a Neti Pot for Hay Fever


Neti Pots
What are they?



Neti pots, or nasal saline irrigation is a system of cleansing out the sinus and nasal cavities. in order to help a range of nasal symptoms from colds, allergies, sinusitis or just for hygiene.  Although the idea of the Neti pot has been around for centuries but has recently been increasing in popularity.  This is especially true for those with hay fever because of it acts as effective maintenance of clearing out the allergens with minimal side effects. This especially applies for those year round hay fever sufferers.


How do they even work?
To understand how the Neti pot works, the anatomy and physiology of the sinuses needs to be stated.  Sinuses are air cavities in the cranial bones which help reducing weight of the skull, create resonance in the voice, and most relatable for this, for humidifying the air in the nasal passageway. The paranasal sinuses include the maxillary, frontal, sphenoid, and ethmoid. The body is constantly producing mucus in these cavities which normal works as a protective and lubricating barrier and should just go down the throat as a post nasal drip and be swallowed.  However if  infectious agents, allergens, dirt, dust or other particles are present this mucus can thicken up and have a harder time being removed. This build up causes pressure in the sinuses, worsening symptoms of nasal congestion and rhinitis, and even can lead to cough, sore throat, and hoarseness. With the Neti pot, the solution is designed to thin out the mucus and irrigate it through the sinuses and out the nostrils. Attached is a youtube video of a more in depth explanation.


So do they work?
Studies show that they do help in relieving symptoms. Ear nose and throat  [ENT] surgeons often recommend them to their patients after having nasal surgery because how effective their irrigation works. Research has backed up the claims of both companies and users of the Neti pot. However this may vary from person to person. Don’t start a new regime without constulting your primary care physician. 


My Personal Results
As a fellow hay allergy sufferer I decided to give this device a whirl. I bought the  Neil Med Nasal Flow one at Target for 17.99. When I first started it made my head feel full and I had to make sure my head was tilted just right over the sink otherwise I would taste the salty solution in the back of my throat. However, it didn’t take long and was painless- the best news is I saw results almost instantly. I physically saw mucus in the sink (gross I know, but better out of my sinuses than in!), also I felt better. I was able to breathe better almost instantly. There was the occasional trickle of solution for then next fifteen minutes but nothing bad. I did however feel a little lightheaded for about an hour. I have now tried this regime three nights in a row- deciding I would slow down as soon as I had a successful (little or no mucus left) go around. I have noticed have had little or no congestion in the morning and throughout the day and barely even sneezed. Personally I am loving the Netipot.
Attached are some links you may be interested in about the products.






No comments:

Post a Comment